Money limit bug?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
ultima7fan

Money limit bug?

Post by ultima7fan »

AFAIK the fastest way to get money in U7 is to go to Dungeon Destard and kill dragons for their gems. I read that if you get too much money on hand, the game starts getting corrupted (from Dan Simpson's walkthrough). How much money do you need to accumulate before the game gets corrupted?
Gradilla Dragon

Re: Money limit bug?

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

That's in the original U7. That problem is not likely to happen in Exult. I buffed all my characters to 60 str, and created so much money that all their containers would be filled with it. I reached their weight limit, and nothing happened.
- Gradilla Dragon
Chris Schumacher

Post by Chris Schumacher »

I can tell you for certain that it doesn't occur in Exult. I used the exponentional method of winning money in the rat game (don't move the stack of gold after you win, save the game and keep reloading until that lane wins) and ended up with so many piles of gold that I spent twenty minutes just picking them up and putting them into a barrel and STILL didn't move all
of them. The game worked fine.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

What went wrong in the original?

I had some fairly weird effects happening in Ultima Underword, with too many items in the same place. Double vision, and frequent errors on the scroll...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
ultima7fan

Post by ultima7fan »

OK, I tested it with the rat race gambling thing just like Chris did, but I was uber-greedy, kept on going and didn't stop. The game crashed :(

I think the walkthrough was referring to a item stack limit (only X number of items in the same space), not how much money you can have overall in lotsa crates. Really makes you wish there was a drag & drop option and no 100gp cap per gold pile.

I reloaded one save before the crash, and it took me like 1-2 hours to get all the money into just about every container I could find in BD (including the crates/bags hidden behind the Baths). I had to buy the Lusty Wench boat (I had the Scaly Eel from Trinsic already...) to ship all the stuff back, no way all those crates/barrels/chests would fit on my carpet!

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with all that gold. Any ideas? Who wants to buy my savegame off Ebay? :p

I was thinking from now onwards I'd make my party be 8 triple-crossbow archers using enchanted bolts, and I'd up the difficulty level to max. We are talking some real serious damage with that kind of party config and there are no issues of 'crowding' around the monsters too, which you get with a melee fighting team...
Neutronium Dragon

Post by Neutronium Dragon »

In the original U7, you'd have problems if too many items were in an area as well. One time, in my quest for XP, I repeatedly killed the cows and horses in Britain, and stored the resulting meat in and about the castle in just about every container you could find.

Eventually, parts of the castle and the town started to flicker and outright disappear. ;)

Neutronium Dragon
Chris Schumacher

Post by Chris Schumacher »

You must've kept at it a lot longer than I did. I only needed about 10,000 so
I could fill up my spellbook. I still didn't manage to get it all off the table.
ultima7fan

Post by ultima7fan »

Yup...I kept it on for ages. Now I know sealed containers (like the ones you get from Fellowship branches) hold 1500gp, bags hold 3500gp and chests hold 10,000 gp before the "Won't fit" sign comes up.

Oh, and if you keep filling a barrel up, the game eventually crashes :/
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

So barrels take unlimited quantities or something?

What about crates?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P