Is this a bug?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
fervieira

Is this a bug?

Post by fervieira »

When I'm setting the three amulets at Dark Core, the blue, the left one, disappears behind the Dark Core and I can't no longer get it back. Sorry for so many questions.
Gradilla Dragon

Re: Is this a bug?

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Yea, that's common to happen. It has to do with the way Exult handles the item droppings. Reload and keep trying :P
- Gradilla Dragon
Achile

Post by Achile »

Same thing with the Erstam machine. You know just move it with hack mover
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

This might be a good thing to fix.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

Ultima 8/Pentagram handle dragging in an interesting way: while dragging, a transparent version of the object is drawn in the exact place in the world where you would drop the item. This transparent item is also properly 'sorted', so you can see exactly when it would fall behind something.

Might be a feature to consider for Exult as well, although it's probably somewhat tricky to implement.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

A consideration is to actually make the object sorting code more like pentagrams which would make something like this easier.
Bomb Bloke

Post by Bomb Bloke »

Concerning the drops, I have an interesting stack of chests... I think the game engine sometimes misplaces items...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me. :P
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

In Pentagram, if the item will fall in an inaccessible spot, does it still let you drop it there?

I'm pretty sure the original U7 does a pretty good job of preventing the user from losing objects.
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

You can probably lose items by dropping them in the wrong place in U8 and pentagram. I think it's fairly hard to do it accidentally while dragging an item, though. It's easier to lose items by having something explode... (explosions knock items back and can make them land behind walls)
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

There's now code in Exult that's supposed to prevent you from dropping an item where it would no longer be visible. I'm hoping it doesn't cause any problems.