non-essential files?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Char

non-essential files?

Post by Char »

Hi again,

I run Exult with both SI and U7 off of my USB flash drive, so I can play at home, work, anywhere. Now since my flash drive space is limited, I was wondering if there are any files in the original U7 and SI installations that aren't required for Exult and could be deleted without affecting the game and all. Every little bit helps. I do want to keep the paperdolls and all other original game elements, though. I'm not looking to strip the experience down any.
I'm assuming the original .exe's can go, is there anything else?
Colourless
Site Admin

Re: non-essential files?

Post by Colourless »

You will need every file in the 'static' and 'gamedat' directories. You can delete the other files though (which really doesn't save you much space)
Darkstar

Post by Darkstar »

IIRC for SI, you can safely delete the *.XMI, *.OFX and *.DLL files from STATIC/ as they were only used for the OriginFX screensaver. I could be wrong, though, so better back them up.
XMIDI.{AD,MT} might also be unneeded. However, this will give you only a few kb's more (maybe 100kb) so I don't know if it's worth it.

--Darkstar
Gradilla Dragon

Post by Gradilla Dragon »

Actually, the .XMI files are the game music. If you change them, the game music changes. The old and famous GM patch for BG and SI was just a set of replacement .XMI files with modified instruments.
- Gradilla Dragon
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Yep, the XMIs are used by Exult too. Indicidently XMIDI.AD is used by Exult as well, so don't delete it either. XMIDI.MT isn't used at this stage, but that will change sometime after 1.2 is released.

Do not delete these files!