How to un-install on Linux ?

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Lanchong

How to un-install on Linux ?

Post by Lanchong »

Hello,

First, thanks for keeping this project going.

How do you completely un-install Exult and all the game files ?
I'm trying to replace an old version of Black Gate with the latest from GOG but it keeps running the old version.

Thanks
Dominus
Site Admin

Re: How to un-install on Linux ?

Post by Dominus »

Exult doesn't install the game files so it's up to you to get rid of them as you put them somewhere :)
Exult has two ways to determine where the game files are:
- the config file .exult.cfg in your HOME folder with explicit paths set for the games
- default game location in the folder /usr/local/share/exult (if the cfg file doesn't specify a path)

See http://exult.info/docs.php#path_config_nix
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
monotremata

Post by monotremata »

Im kinda curious what the updates are that GOG does to them? AFAIK, its just a DOSBox wrapped up and configured to run the original U7. On the Mac we get them wrapped in Boxer packages which is just a self-contained DOSBox setup from the Boxer front end, much like how D-Fend on Windows could package a game and make it standalone, which is pretty much exactly the same as what GOG does anyways. Its not like GOG is updating the U7 source code. The Black Gate install should be the same Black Gate install as the original, where its the floppys, one of the U7 cd collections, or the Ultima Collection. My U4 just recently got an update and I went "WTF how did they update that?" Im pretty sure they just tweaked the DOSBox configuration, or maybe they added one of the user made graphics upgrades or something. Usually if they do update something that old, it just gets their Cloud Save feature which just saves your save games in their cloud server.

All you need is the BlackGate folder, you don't have to update it every time GOG does, they're not changing the game itself.
Morbius Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Since 1992!
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Yes, the only updates are to packaging and configs. For example the paths stuff is installed to, on Mac it used to be a disk image, now it is an installer, stuff like that.
As for the game version it is the last version that came on a CD. Theoretically it should be the same as the floppy install AND including the FoV floppy install.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Lanchong

Post by Lanchong »

Thanks for the replies. I'll give that a try.
I have U7 in a different language but I'd rather play in English :)
Lanchong

Post by Lanchong »

I've fixed the issue.
By the way, the default game location is /usr/share/games/exult/ on my machine (note the /games subdirectory).

Thanks for maintaining this great tool !