More music questions.

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Guru Dragon

More music questions.

Post by Guru Dragon »

I've been listening to the Black Gate music, and I'm trying to remember when each song is played. I've figured them all out except three. If you have the vorbis music pack these are the ones I can't figure out:

13b.ogg
14b.ogg
34b.ogg

13 and 14 are just little jingles that I can't remember ever hearing. I think they were used on the Origin Soundtrack, but were they in the game?

34 is a fanfare of some sort, but it's not the Fanfare of Courage or the Fanfare of Lord British.

Can anyone remember?
SB-X

Re: More music questions.

Post by SB-X »

I only remember 13, but it's been too long since I played so I don't remember where it's used. Something triggered by a conversation, or when dying at a certain location?
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Warning: spoilers ahead.

From U7Wizard: 34bg.ogg is played in FoV when you find the amulets of Truth and Courage. The other two are played by no egg in the BG map. In SI, 13bg.ogg is played in the before the teleporter to the football area; 34bg.ogg is played in the list-field, in SS in the room where you fight the three witches and get the silver seed and in the 'secret' exit from Aram Dol's lair which lead to Deathwatch.

Scanning the BG usecode, I have confirmed that none of these songs is played by scripts or intrinsics. In SI usecode, 13bg.ogg is played in function 0x6CA (probably an egg somewhere) and track 14bg.ogg is played by function 0x767 (likewise).

Also, looking at the Exult source, I can confirm that they are not played in BG or SI (by Exult, at least) after/during combats.

For the curious: SI reuses many oggs from BG to save the download size. These specific oggs (13, 14 and 34) are played in SI when you tell Exult to play songs 4, 5 and 25, respectivelly.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

Thank you very much, you've been a big help!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Speaking of music.. I think some of the songs that were recorded to ogg need to be rerecorded. Several of them are missing melodies or sound effects that should be there. If you need an example of this listen to the soundtrack CD for SI and the ogg version of "Batlin's Theme" that we have now. All of the notes for whats in the CD version of the song are present in the midi file. I think somehow somewhere the sound card being used didnt play all of the effects that it was supposed to.

This might be the time to try to track down the people who made the music so they could give us recordings of what it should sound like, if at all possible. Lord knows if they'd remember after all this time but its worth a shot. ^_^;
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Speaking of music.. I think some of the songs that were recorded to ogg need to be rerecorded.
Simon wrote this himself not *that* long ago, somewhere here in the forum.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Crysta the Elf

Post by Crysta the Elf »

Well... sorry for repeating it then. ^_^;