U7 Music

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Guru Dragon

U7 Music

Post by Guru Dragon »

I noticed that the Exult team recorded U7's music using a Roland MT-32 for the Vorbis files. I'm curious if they just recorded it while the game was running, or did they actually rip the music from the game files, and the sysex data and record it through a MIDI player.

If they did rip the music, is there a place where I can get the ripped music and sysex data?
Wizardry Dragon

Re: U7 Music

Post by Wizardry Dragon »

You can unflex the MIDI source from ADLIB.mus and the roland counterpart using expack.
--------
Peter M Dodge aka Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer,
Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
Cheers, Wizardry Dragon
Lead Designer, Ultima VII: The Feudal Lands
www.thefeudallands.ca
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

Thank you for the help. I finally got around to actually unflexing the Roland music files from the MT32MUS.DAT file.

I noticed that the Ultima music collection has 61 files of music, but I was only able to pull 54 files from the MT32MUS.DAT file that had data in them. Does anyone know where the missing music is?

I noticed that there is an ENDSCORE.XMI file, but that still only puts the total at 55.

Any help is appreciated.
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

The Exult team did not make the OGG files ourselves. They were made by someone else (Simon Quinn) for us to use.

As far as I know, they were extracted then played back with the SysEx data from the games.

Now, for BG everything is good, though I'm pretty sure that the SI tracks are not actually 100% correct for two reasons:
1) The timing of the SI specific tracks are wrong (too fast). That is most likely because the midi files he played back were converted with XMI2MID which tends to screw up the timing
2) Some of the instruments sound wrong. This will be due to the way that AIL/MSS (the sound system used by SI) handles custom instruments/timbres. It does it in a way that is not compatible with playing back ripped Mid files and using the Dumped SysEx data from the MT32 device for timbres. Only way to properly play back XMI files that use custom tibres is to use a player that understands the XMIDI Timbre Change Events and uploads the required timbres to the MT32 from the XMIDI.MT file.

-Colourless Dragon
marzo
Site Admin

Post by marzo »

Speaking of recording U7 music files: this site was done by someone who did just that. You might want to ask him for a few pointers.
------
Marzo Sette Torres Junior
aka Geometrodynamic Dragon
[url=http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]How To Ask Questions The Smart Way[/url]
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

It's a shame he used XMI2MID. Winamp can play XMI and it supports USB MIDI devices (to a MT-32). Do you know how I can contact Simon Quinn to ask him how he did it?

I've sent the web site's creator (Tom) an email. Hopefully he can give me some insight as well.
Guru Dragon

Post by Guru Dragon »

Okay, I spoke with Tom and he did indeed have all the ripped soundtracks! So I'm off to a good start (thanks for the tip).

I still have a few questions regarding the XMI music for the ending. Does anyone on the Exult team still have Simon Quinn's email address?
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

check the about us page.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!