the "no throwing up" bug

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Daniel

the "no throwing up" bug

Post by Daniel »

I didn't take me long to discover this one. In the original game when you walked into the second room of the Blacksmiths building (Trinsic), you would usually chuck up green and yellow looking slime over the ground and say stuff like "Ohh no!". However with exult this doesn't happen and you might have thought it was a bug, but the original developers put that there for a reason and danged if I know what it is!

But nether the less, it's not working in Exult.

Now lets see if anyone of developers take this post harshly, I suspect it most likely : )
SB-X

Re: the "no throwing up" bug

Post by SB-X »

I never assumed it was from the Avatar. I thought it was... uhh, ghostly ectoplasm? No really I didn't know what it was. Exult does do this.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

It was the avatar throwing up because he says "ohh no!" and then bends down to throw up. Exult does not do this! inspect it further SB-X.
Mentis

Post by Mentis »

Actually, either the Avatar or any (one or more) of his party members throw up the first time they walk into the blacksmith's workplace (the first room!)...

They usually also throw up in the second room, when the door closes behind them or when the chairs start dancing :-)

Don't know if it works like that in exult, it does so in the dos version...
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

It does work in Exult, in the first room. You just have to step on the correct egg.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Yeah but it no longer works in the second room.
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

THere's other areas where it happens, too. I remember it occurs somewhere in the hallways of Deceit. It also occurs in SI, in the room with the chopped up human body parts in the Goblin Village (okay, so we know why they blow chunks in that last one.)
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Oh, yeah, and the one in Deceit was nowhere near the dragon room, so I don't think the characters were puking because of the smell of burnt human flesh.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

My theory for these strange occurances is that the developers thought it looked cool and decided to use just because of that! I mean people puking their guts up, who wouldn't have fun putting that in the game?
Roman

Post by Roman »

My characters puke in one of the caves everytime they run around a certain corner. Its the one where you eventually get to the the bridge that goes over to another mountain. My characters were puking hardcore...I can get screenshots if you want em LOL.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Put up links for them. Hehehe.

Mmm, chunky...
Roman

Post by Roman »

Raving Idiot

Post by Raving Idiot »

What's up with the Avatar having two sets of arms and there being Jaana clones? =P
Roman

Post by Roman »

probably had something to do with the compatibilty of photoshop 6.0 and exult....I dunno
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

what did you have to use photoshop for? exult has a screenshot key
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

Yuck, that's a LOT of barf!
Roman

Post by Roman »

because when I tried using print screen it didnt' work, so I had to do it in small window size.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

print screen is not the proper key
Roman

Post by Roman »

that could do it then LOL
Kennedy

Fawnish ale will do that to ya...

Post by Kennedy »

I remember when Simon the innkeeper in Monitor offered the Avatar some. Let's see how well Dupre holds THIS type of liquor.
Soul Reaver

Back to barfing

Post by Soul Reaver »

Back onto the subject...
I've noticed this problem with Exult too.

I walked all through the blacksmith room, but there was no throwing up.

(Iolo didn't run around screaming like a little girl, like he used to do, either)
Daniel

Re: Back to barfing

Post by Daniel »

Thankyou Soul Reaver, I was afraid it was going to become another private message topic.
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

I meant that Fawnish ale will cause your character to barf, sorry if it seamed off topic. I gave some to Dupre and he started barfing up blood, (as well as puke). Was there also blood in the original version when you drank Fawnish ale?
Roman

Post by Roman »

check out my pic, there is throwing up all over the place
Oblivious

Post by Oblivious »

Was there also blood in the original version when you drank Fawnish ale?

No, but sometimes you puked up 'blood' in random areas of U7BG. It's not actually supposed to be blood, it's supposed to be like, mutton or steak (or red wine). They only have about 4-5 different colors for the puke, you know....
*lightbulb appears above her head*

Hey, I know something exult can do later on! Implement more colors of puke!

Nystul: whoah, pastel puke!

Avatar: Now, THAT'S a technicolor yawn!

Back on a serious note, though, I'm guessing your characters puke in the caves because of possible smells. I mean, here's just a few cave smells available:

*bat guano smell
*fresh dragon dung smell (I'd really watch my step in Destard if I was the Avatar... nothing worse than a cavern where a dragon had a case of the hershey squirts...)
*mold
*dead giant rats (eew, and you though the normal sized ones smelled bad!)
*Sulfur
*Sulfur gases (guaranteed to make you sick! If not, it'll at least eat away at your sweaty face!)
*Troll B.O.
*burning gremlin meat (yuck.)
*human corpses
*SOMETHING that is growing on a wall in a corner (where a troll pissed a week ago)
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

hehe, true.
Skutarth

Post by Skutarth »

"*SOMETHING that is growing on a wall in a corner (where a troll pissed a week ago)"

Hmm, sounds like a hobo.

Hey! I'm taking it off topic again! I need to stop that...
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

I've found that a lot of puddles of whatever end up being blood. For example, any puddle formed after you use a big keg.
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

Mmmm..... Blood wine.
Poeta_Assassino

Guardians Face (HOLY COU!)

Post by Poeta_Assassino »

i was reading through the puking thread, and decided to check it myself. I ran exult, loaded a savegame from a game I had just begun, but hadn´t went to the smithy. I was in britain. i teleported myself to trinsinc, got into the smithy, and i LITERALLY jumped out as a giant face of Guardian appeared, and a few HAHAHAs also. i made poor avatar run out of there, and guardian disappeared. what´s up with that? I´m pretty sure the original didn´t had that :P
Poeta_Assassino

ohh

Post by Poeta_Assassino »

i just noticed, i was listening to a nice mp3 i got from www.bootstrike.com/ultima7bg (shameless plug, but it´s a really nice site with tons of info on ultima 7, too bad it´s no longer updated (it mentions a way to kill batlin using the death bolt, unfortunately i can´t do it with Exult)) , so, the sound in exult was disabled! I guess that ugly guardian face is just some kind of subtitle :)
Kennedy

Re: barf

Post by Kennedy »

I was hoping I could use the Fawnish ale on Simon, the way you could use potions on other people in Black Gate. That would be cool making other people barf!
Roman

Post by Roman »

yeah, I too could not kill Batlin with the death bolt either.
British Fiend

Post by British Fiend »

The original Ultima 7 has the Guardians face appearing if your sound is turned off, and if your sound is on, the Guardian speaks but I dont belive theres a face.
Daniel

No RE: crap. The bug still exists.

Post by Daniel »

ahh... this message still continues....

However, I think we have been distracted away from the actual bug that mind you, STILL EXISTS!

Could you guys please fix it as it would not take very long and would make me espciecally happy. Thankyou.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: No RE: crap. The bug still exists.

Post by wjp »

Please submit bugs to our bug tracker at http://sf.net/bugs/?group_id=2335
drcode
Site Admin

Re: No RE: crap. The bug still exists.

Post by drcode »

I just tried it in the original, using U7run, and they do NOT throw up in the second room!

(...like it matters.)
Daniel

No Reply crap: The bug still exists.

Post by Daniel »

ahhh! You are wrong.
and WJP, I did post it there. I got a stuipid email saying they haven't done anything about it.
wjp
Site Admin

Re: No Reply crap: The bug still exists.

Post by wjp »

Really? I checked all bug reports since April and didn't see it.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Well I was wrong about that, but here is one bug that I did submit and no one wanted to touch it even though it is possible.

Hostile NPC talking.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=102335

No Throwing-up bug (just posted)
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=102335
Roman

Post by Roman »

I already shown you guys a pic of them throwing up...
SB-X

Not speculation

Post by SB-X »

I just checked the original and couldn't get anyone to throw up in the second room, but the Avatar threw up in the first room, and Iolo got scared in the second room.
Daniel

Re: Not speculation

Post by Daniel »

Well something like that, but it aint working in exult so that leads me to believe that other areas of the same nature probably don't work :/
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

Daniel, please post a screenshot from the original game showing them throwing up in the second room

-Colourless Dragon
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

Seems like one of us developers will have to try it out again, see what usecode function is being executed, and then look at the disassembly for it to see if it has any possibility of creating blood in the second room.
British Fiend

Post by British Fiend »

Just incase no one except me understood the reason for this thread:

No one pukes either blood or green/yellow stuff(if its not blood it should be pinkish to resemble more realistic puke) in the blacksmiths shop.
Therefore, no one probly pukes in the game at all.
However, the Avatar runs to the door(when you get to the second room).
Oh yeah I found a nice little Exult thingie, I ran into a door and one of the characters opened it and closed it as I left. I like that. I dunno if it was intentional though.
SB-X

Post by SB-X »

Generally you should be able to look at the first post and figure out the reason for the thread. :)
wjp
Site Admin

Post by wjp »

> Therefore, no one probly pukes in the game at all.

I don't see how that follows.
drcode
Site Admin

Post by drcode »

I see them puke in the first room in Exult every time. A while back, I did look at the Usecode for this, and found that it depends on the intelligence of you and your party. If it's above a certain level, you won't throw up.

If someone will post the Usecode function # for the egg in the second room, I'll look it up.
ShaminoJr

Post by ShaminoJr »

My group was too smart to puke in the Smith shop too. The chair never spun around in room one. Iolo never got scared either. The haunted house has been ghost busted in my game. heheh, (when we don't trigger the smith ghost) it's a nice joke for the rest of us who've played the original way back when and were expecting a visit from beyond. I kept expecting the Avatar to barf, but he never did... lucky guy...