Can't get digital sound to work

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Syyr

Can't get digital sound to work

Post by Syyr »

I can't get the Exult Digital Music (OGG) pack for Ultima7 Black Gate and Serpent Isle to work at all. I followed the directions that the readme said, create a music folder in the data folder and extract there. Is there anything else I need to configure to get them to work?
Sslaxx

Re: Can't get digital sound to work

Post by Sslaxx »

Is OGG support working yet? And if so, on all platforms?
Darke
Site Admin

Post by Darke »

It _should_ work under at the very least windows/linux using the latest 1.1.x cvs and snapshots.

However. (There always is one, isn't there? *grin*) Quite a bit about the 1.1.x series is experimental, so we don't recommend you actually use it if you value your game play experience/savegame files, for obvious reasons. *grin* It _really_ is for developers/testers only at the moment.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

in the game press ESC once to get to the options. In the Audio options, configure midi to use "Conversion" Digital Music.
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Syyr

Post by Syyr »

Darke, Yeah I know. I backed up my saves frist. I don't plan on using 1.1 to play, I just wanted to check out the OGG digital music in game.

Dominus, I've done and and it still doesn't work.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

what system are you using? Are the files in /data/music or in a subdirectory of /data/music (shouldn't be)...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
Syyr

Post by Syyr »

System specs.

P4 1.8 Ghz
Intel i850 Tehama
1.02 Gb RDRAM
GF3 Ti200 Driver Version 29.42 with refresh hack
Turtle Beach Santz Cruz Driver Version 4161s

Here's my patch to the OGG sound pak; C:\Program Files\Exult\Data\Music\
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

I'm having the same problem. I'm using the latest 1.1.x Windows binary snapshot, and the OGGs are unzipped in the Exult/Data/Music directory. I set the MIDI conversion to Digital as well. When I change the conversion to anything else, I get normal MIDI as usual. Am I missing something here?

I noticed that you've added the exult.ogg file at some point recently to the .zips. I hope it sounds cool. =)
Simon Quinn

Post by Simon Quinn »

For Digital Music, you need to check you are using SDL_mixer 1.2.4 and SDL 1.2.4 (sdl_mixer.dll & SDL.dll). Still having problems, then post your stderr.txt and stdout.txt here, first 50 lines of stdout.txt will do.

Also, do the digital SFX work at all with the CVS 1.1 version?
Kirben
Site Admin

Post by Kirben »

OK, this is confirmed as a problem with the current Exult 1.1.0cvs snapshot due to using a static SDL_Mixer library. The next snapshot will resolve the issue but won't be released until later today.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Make sure you read the Documentation and FAQ that comes with the unstable snapshot. At least the doc is a bit different than the one for the stable branch and the one online.

Edit: I mean the documentation in the upcoming snapshot :-)
--
Read the Rules!