Compiling probs:

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Telemachos

Compiling probs:

Post by Telemachos »

Hi Exult team,

I'm having some problems compiling the current CVS project :)

Using the Makefile.win32 and gcc/mingw32 gives the following error:

expack.exe -i data/flx.in
expack.exe -i data/bg/flx.in
expack.exe -i data/si/flx.in
g++ -O2 -Wno-long-long -fvtable-thunks -include mingw_kludges.h -DVERSION=\\\\"0
.97cvs\\\\" -DEXULT_DATADIR=\\\\"data\\\\" -DDEBUG -DSIZEOF_SHORT=2 -DSIZEOF_INT
=4 -I./imagewin -I./shapes -I./files -I./files/zip -I./gumps -I./objs -I./tools
-I. -I./audio -I./conf -I./pathfinder -I./usecode -I./usecode/ucxt/include -I./d
ata -I./server -I./../SDL/include -DHAVE_SNPRINTF -DUSE_EXULTSTUDIO -I./../zlib
-DHAVE_ZIP_SUPPORT -c actions.cc -o actions.o
In file included from .\shapes\shapevga.h:34,
from gamewin.h:32,
from actions.cc:25:
.\shapes\shapeinf.h: In method `bool Shape_info::has_quality()':
.\shapes\shapeinf.h:350: unknown escape sequence `\s'
.\shapes\shapeinf.h:350: unknown escape sequence `\s'
make: *** [actions.o] Error 1

I also tried using the VC6 stuff but I also ran into problems there :) I set the EXULT_INSTALL_PATH and all that stuff from the readme file. But when selecting the 'all' project and 'Win32 Release Install' setting all I get is:

--------------------Configuration: expack - Win32 Release Install--------------------
Build : warning : failed to (or don't know how to) build 'D:\cygwin\home\Telemachos\exult\tools\expack.exe'
Installing expack.exe and Creating buildflx_inst.bat
The system cannot find the file specified.
Error executing d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

All - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

Feel free to call me an idiot if I'm missing some basic thing in VC6 but I've never really used that visual @!#$ before.. prefer gcc or watcom..

- Telemachos
drcode
Site Admin

Re: Compiling probs:

Post by drcode »

Odd. I'm looking at 'has_quality()' in shapeinf.h and I don't see anything like the '\s' it's complaining about. Check your local version; maybe the file got corrupted somehow.
Kirben
Site Admin

Post by Kirben »

Sounds like you are using a very old copy of Exult CVS, open Makefile.win32 with a text editor:
Change -DVERSION=\\\\"0.97cvs\\\\"
to -DVERSION=\"0.97cvs\"
Change -DEXULT_DATADIR=\\\\"data\\\\"
to -DEXULT_DATADIR=\"data\"
Save file and compile again.
Telemachos

Post by Telemachos »

DrCode:
The first thing I did was of course to check the header for errors ;) I didn't see the \s either. But when I outcommented the function and copied it down below the outcommented version it worked. Wierd - I guess the original line (line 350) had a corrupted byte somewhere in it.

Kirben:
I'm using the newest snapshot and made those changes myself. You're right that they were wrong though - there should be 3 backslashes and not 4 (but not just 1!). I think this is a well-known issue when compiling with gcc v2.95.2 - at least I've had this problem with all previous CVS versions of Exult that I've compiled. What version are you guys using?
One could also discuss if the makefile is the correct place to define EXULT_DATADIR. I would probably have made it a setting in the config file.. but maybe that's just me ;)

Anyway, it compiles fine now - thanks again for the help and for making Exult in the first place ;)

- Telemachos
Kirben
Site Admin

Post by Kirben »

It is best to use the current mingw version (1.1) at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=53765
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

I've no idea what version of Mingw that I'm using, but it's got gcc 2.95.3-6 which is what you should at least be using.