Odd Video Problem

NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Forum rules
NOTICE: This forum is archived as read only.
Please use the Github Discussions at https://github.com/exult/exult/discussions
Matt

Odd Video Problem

Post by Matt »

Hail! And well met!

Or something like that.

I seem to be having an odd problem with Exult 1.00. While playing, the screen flickers near the lower half of the screen and sometimes draws the wrong part of the screen at the bottom. Sometimes when I hit the 'ESC' key the menu is split in half. The right side is on the left, and the left side of the menu is on the right side of the screen. When I move my mouse it begins to redraw the screen as if I was using a paint program and clearing the screen and redrawing the correct menu screen. Anyone else have these types of video problems? I've tried it in both window and full screen mode.

WinXP, nForce board with onboard Graphics Card. Basically an nVidia G2.
Any ideas would be great. Except, of course, 'Get a Linux box!', or 'Get a Mac!'.

Dyslexia's untie!
Andrea B Previtera

Re: Odd Video Problem

Post by Andrea B Previtera »

That happens to mee too.
Even with the 1.11 branch. RC candidate 1, as far as I remember, didn't have this glitch.

Win 2000, ATI 9700 pro, Directx 9.0
Colourless
Site Admin

Post by Colourless »

If you have disabled VSync with your video card drivers enable it.

But really I haven't got a clue, other than it appears to be Video card driver related.
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

Andrea: I bet you didn't have the Ati card when Rc1 was released. You could compare of course as the RC1 can still be found at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... up_id=2335

Though I bet it is video driver related. Especially the Geoforce is driver sensitive. Some work some don't. ( I would not be able to say as I'm still stuck with my obsolete and out of date V5).
So my advice: try to get the newest drivers, maybe even betas OR try to find some forums that discuss which drivers are the best...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!
Kirben
Site Admin

Post by Kirben »

Make sure you aren't using the Nvidia 40.x reference drivers, as they have issues with all SDL based programs. Use either a later or earlier version of the Nvidia reference drivers.
MV

Post by MV »

Yep, as Kirben said, don't use the 40.xx drivers.

Try to find the 30.82 driver set. It should still be on the nvidia site.

Ah, there ya go: http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_30.82

I'm still using them with my gf4 ti4200.

Ati owners can't laugh though, the last good drivers they had, and that I'm using for my radeon ddr32, are from the year 2001.

Unless you only run 3dDickextender 2002, then the latest drivers suck IMO.

Sorry for the rant.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Right you are. I switched to the 30.82 and the problem went away. Then I installed the 41.09 and it still works fine. It was the 40.XX that was bad.

Thank goodness. I was almost ready to cry. Can you imagine not being able to play BG or SI? What a terrible thought.
suraimu

Post by suraimu »

You think your V5 is out of date... I have a v3. :(
MV

Post by MV »

Hey Dominus, I'll swap you my Radeon 32meg for your V5. :)
Dominus
Site Admin

Post by Dominus »

he he, nope my V5 will stay in my pc until I upgrade the whole pc...
--
Read the documentation and the FAQ! There is no excuse for not reading them! RTFM
Read the Rules!
We do not support Piracy/Abandonware/Warez!